The aim of the English programme, offered by Goldsmiths, University of London, is to expand your knowledge and understanding of your chosen topic. You'll carry out independent research under the guidance of a supervisor, and in the context of a structured programme of study.
You'll attend the Department's Postgraduate Research Methods series, and either a Research Skills Workshop or a Research Skills series. You'll also be encouraged to attended Methods and Resources day schools that are offered by the Institute of English Studies at Senate House.
You'll also attend, but not be assessed on, at least one appropriate Masters level module offered in the Department of English and Comparative Literature in the first term of study. Your supervisor may advise you to attend selected elements of the module only and to focus on a particular problem within the syllabus. Attending the module will enable you to take part in discussions, and to refine and nuance your understanding of different perspectives on a topic.
This programme will enable you to develop transferable skills, including:
- enhanced communication and discussion skills in written and oral contexts
- the ability to analyse and evaluate different textual materials
- the ability to organise information
- the ability to assimilate and evaluate competing arguments
Our graduates have gone on to pursue careers in publishing, journalism, public relations, teaching, advertising, the civil service, business, industry, the media.
The main focus of the MRes, however, will be on the development of your own research project. Throughout this process you will:
- Study in depth and reflect critically upon an aspect of research methods relevant to your dissertation topic, under the guidance of your supervisor
- Where appropriate, you can choose to write on methodological topics arising from the syllabus of one of the taught Masters level modules
- Carry out systematic research into the primary, critical and theoretical literature relevant to the dissertation topic, under the guidance of your supervisor
- Develop an independent dissertation project, under the guidance of a supervisor
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- We encourage you to complete your application as early as possible, even if you haven't finished your current programme of study.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Creative Writing View 216 other Masters in Creative Writing in United Kingdom
- You should normally have a BA in a relevant subject with at least a clear upper second class result. If it’s in an unrelated field, you may be considered subject to qualifying interview/submission of sample essays.
International15820 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15820 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7540 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7540 GBP per year during 12 months.
- National - part-time: £3770
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.