- This is multidisciplinary programme that promotes study of the interactions of cultural, social and political factors. It aims to deepen and widen students' knowledge of major topics and issues as well as to enable them to develop a significant measure of expertise in the subject chosen for the thesis.
- The MA programme draws on the expertise of UCD faculty across a number of departments, as well as that of the Professor American Studies and the contribution of visiting scholars .
- Students can expect to take modules such as: American Political Tradition, American Culture, America and Globalisation, American Poiltics Today. In addition they can select an optional module from other schools within the College. In addition they will complete a thesis 12,000 - 15,000 words
- The programme is available on a full time or part time basis
CareerAmerican Studies graduates at University College Dublin have knowledge of American history, culture and politics, making them attractive to multinational companies and national organisations who have extensive relationships with the US. The programme will also interest those wishing to prepare for advanced research in this area.Students who have undertaken this programme now work in a variety of areas including Communications, Public relations, Journalism, Research, Teaching, Law. Employers include: AIB, Google, NYC Department of Education, Western Union, Certus, International Student Card, Johns Hopkins University.
More informationVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- America and Globalisation
- Minor Thesis
- Ireland & the US
- American Culture
- Research Skills Seminar
- Trump's America
- American Politics Today
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis and courses will close once they are filled.
DisciplinesLiterature American Studies
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- An upper second class honours degree, or the international equivalent in areas such as humanities, politics, social science but not exculsively. Consideration will be given to students with a lower GPA but they will require an interview (via SKYPE or in person). And maybe asked for additional material
- Applicants whose first language is not English must normally demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 7.0 (no band less than 6.5 in each element), or equivalent.
International19900 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 19900 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7315 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7315 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
- EU fee per year - € 4390
- nonEU fee per year - € 9950
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.