Applied Linguistics degree offered at Canterbury Christ Church University has a major emphasis on critical qualitative research into social and cultural issues in language education and intercultural communication, and also interest in grammar, discourse and pragmatics.
Full-time students must attend a programme in researcher development during the first year. This is an institution-wide, inter-disciplinary programme which covers the full-spectrums of research approaches. It thus allows the student to establish a broad perspective within which to place her or his work, and also to become part of a larger community of research students.
More informationVisit official programme website
Recent students research project:
- Cultural identity and cultural values in the UK-published ELT coursebook.
- Cultural transfer in translation: a psycholinguistically-orientated, empirical investigation into the translation of culture-bound lexis
- Discursive Struggle: linguistic imperialism and resistance on Chinese university campuses
- Filial piety: a barrier or a resource? A qualitative case study of English classroom culture in a Hong Kong secondary school
- 66 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages Linguistics View 476 other Masters in Languages in United Kingdom
- An application form and two academic referees who can comment on their research potential
- A 1500-word research proposal
- Interview of applicants who have the required academic qualifications and a promising research idea
- During the interview candidates should be able to demonstrate: a basic understanding of research methodology (e.g. the difference between and the limitations of qualitative and quantitative methods); how and where data can be realistically collected; sufficient drive and determination to sustain extended self-directed study.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €6000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.