We offer a master degree in Nanoscience at the University of Tsukuba. From the iridescent beauty of a butterfly’s wings to the Spiderman-like ‘stickability’ of a gecko’s feet, many phenomena in the natural world arise from physical properties that operate on the scale of nanometers.
In modern science, the fields of nanotechnology and nanoscience build on these kinds of natural effects to generate remarkable innovation and fast-paced technological development in fields as diverse as biomedical imaging, renewable energy and quantum computing. Indeed, nanoscience has emerged as a multidisciplinary field that is distinct from the related disciplines of physics, chemistry, biology and materials engineering and thus requires specifically trained professionals.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The University of Tsukuba has developed a Nanoscience Masters course aimed at training the next generation of ‘nano’ practitioners. The program consists of coursework and a research component.
- Students are expected to complete three compulsory subjects, six core elective subjects and 11 specialized subjects as well as conduct an original research project, within the two-year duration of the course. This course aims to instill graduates with three broad attributes — theoretical competence, practical capability and research experience.
- The theoretical subjects include quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, semiconductor science, X-ray and solid-state physics. The engineering-based subjects combine practical insights into optics, nanoelectronics, nanomaterials, semiconductors, solids and surface engineering with hands-on experience through courses on characterization techniques like transmission electron microscopy.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- The general qualifications required for admission into the graduate programs of our university are as follows. For applicants falling under the conditions marked with *, there will be an examination in order to verify the qualification prior to the general submission of applications. In the case of applications that fall under conditions marked with ? , such an examination may be required.
- For further information concerning the details of the admission examination, please contact the Department of Educational Promotion, Division of Educational Promotion (for night courses, please contact the Academic Service Office for Business Sciences).
International4103 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4103 EUR per year during 24 months.
National4103 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4103 EUR per year during 24 months.
¥535,800 / year
Living costs for Tsukuba
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.