The MA in English at the Humboldt State University fosters the development of critical reading, writing, teaching, research and other scholarly skills through focused study of literary and cultural texts, pedagogical theory, curriculum development, composition and rhetoric, digital humanities, linguistics, and ESL/EFL. Students gain an advanced understanding of current disciplinary knowledge, including how texts circulate among audiences and how language shapes the world.
We offer a variety of opportunities for hands-on learning in the form of teaching assistantships, tutoring positions, and internships in teaching, editing, library curating and archiving, digital humanities, tutoring, and ESL/EFL. With an emphasis on professional development, the program expands opportunities for K-12 teachers and prepares students for Ph.D. programs and jobs in college teaching as well as careers in publishing, editing, professional writing, librarianship, digital scholarship, and teaching English abroad. Students have considerable latitude in designing master’s projects that match their interests and the expertise of graduate faculty.
Students completing this program will demonstrate:
- the ability to produce professional-quality, research-based analytical writing in various genres and/or media
- the use of a variety of interpretive strategies for analyzing multiple kinds of texts, including digital and new media production
- engagement with theory and an ability to locate a text in its cultural and historical contexts
- Cultural Studies
- Digital Humanities
- Teaching ESL Reading & Writing
- Theory of Rhetoric & Composition
- Reading and Writing Pedagogy
- Reading Historically
- Problems in Form, Genre, Media
- Master’s Thesis Project
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Linguistics View 999 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- Apply Online at Cal State Apply
- Application Fee of U.S. $70
- Submit the Certification of Financial Support.
- Submit Official Transcripts of Academic Records (translated to English)
- Send Proof of English Proficiency
- Send Photocopy of your passport
- GPA of at least 2.5 in an acceptable earned bachelor's degree,
- GPA of at least 2.75 in the last 60 semester units (90 quarter units) attempted;
- The applicant holds an acceptable post baccalaureate degree earned at an institution accredited by a regional accrediting association;
The applicant has satisfied any one of the following:
International4164 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2082 USD per semester during 24 months.
National4164 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2082 USD per semester during 24 months.
- Per Term
Living costs for Arcata
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.