The future world challenges include impact of technological development and new emerging technologies on environment and require an enormous effort to efficiently address air, water, food and energy challenges. The Smart 2020 report written by the international climate group recommends to intensively deploy Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) both for enhancing the monitoring of environment and human activities (industry, building, transport, etc) and for distributed smart ICT systems for enabling to mitigate the pollution, the waste, food quality and supply, energy constraints, etc. Higher education sector has both a responsibility and a response to those challenges by educating ICT professionals with high expertise in networking, computing and programming, capable to design, develop, deploy and maintain both communication architectures and pervasive computing systems for sustainable development. Moreover, the traditional methodologies in distributed system engineering have to be adapted and reviewed for minimizing the ICT footprint on the environment in terms of carbon emission, radio wave propagation, waste, technological pollution, energy efficiency, resource reuse, etc. The networked system engineering has to be globally rethought in the context of new business paradigm as the circular economy. The major effort of Engineering focuses then on the resource efficiency.
- To address educational challenges and attract students according to the new market demand expressed by OECD in the reports on “OECD Information Technology Outlook 2010” and “The 2011 Gartner Scenario: Current States and Future Directions of the IT Industry”, by the European Commission adopted in 2009 a recommendation saying the ICT sector should lead the transition to an energy-efficient and low-carbon economy, and by companies developing new green ICT projects (Cf 2009 Gartner report: The Impact of Recession on Green IT: Survey Results).
- To synergise the strengths, competence and diverse aspects of education in sustainable networks, software and services, pervasive computing systems and communications and develop a common platform of competence within the guidelines of the Bologna process,
- To provide future PERCCOM - PERvasive Computing and COMmunications for Sustainable Development Masters students from the University of Lorraine with competences, skills and knowledge in computer communications, wireless networking, mobile technologies, software engineering, pervasive and distributed systems, and to make them aware of the impact that ICT makes on the environment and efficient use of resources.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Communication protocols
- Quality of Sustainable Service
- Automatic Control for Sustainable Development
- Systems Engineering
- Sustainable development & circular economy
- Specification definition of Master thesis project
- French Culture and Language
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesCommunication Sciences Sustainable Development Computer Sciences View 26 other Masters in Sustainable Development in France
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Gender / Name/ Email / Birth date / Postal address / Phone
- Citizenship and country of residence.
- Scanned image of your passport showing your picture (PDF).
- Financing (scholarship, self financing,…)
- University degrees (held or currently studying) and universities where those degrees were obtained.
- All university transcripts must be in English.
- Description of the contents of the courses taken to obtain the degree of the previous point.
- Two recommendation letters
- Employment information
- Motivation letter, in which the applicant explains in English the reasons to study PERCCOM and how they relate to his/her career goals.
- Information on multiple EM applications (if any)
International8000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 8000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA4000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 4000 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.