But how do such structural transformations articulate with and influence people’s lives and environments, short and long range resource chains, as well as land and resource use?
The task of achieving sustainable urban futures requires that holistic thinking is placed on the agenda. The discipline of geography, which bridges the social and natural sciences, is particularly suited to such a challenge.
The Master's programme in Geography is offered by the University of Gothenburg, Faculty of Science. It is increasingly evident that we are moving towards an urban world; most of the planets population now live and carry out their livelihoods in urban areas and business and production are increasingly concentrated to urban regions.Career areas
This master's programme in Geography at the University of Gothenburg equips you with the tools and knowledge required for working skilled and independently with complex geographical problems and challenges and to be able to carry out advanced plans and evaluations pertaining to urban areas, urban-rural dynamics as well as relations between cities and regions.There are good career opportunities in the public sector as well as in consulting. The advanced knowledge of GIS technology and its application gives you further attractive skills.
The overriding goal of the Master Program in Geography is to train students in the aforementioned thematic problem areas in such a way that acquired knowledge, skills and analytical expertise provide good opportunities for careers in related fields of employment and for doctoral studies in geography. The application of Geographical Information Systems (GIS) is an important part of the programme.
Depending on the profile of the individual student, the Master Program aims to provide specialist competency and knowledge in sustainable development relating to urban issues in a wider geographical context with possible focus on:
- urban sustainability
- sustainable mobility
- qualitative and quantitative methods
- geographical information systems (GIS)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 11 other Masters in Geography in Sweden
- Bachelor of Science in Geography or equivalent, including a minimum of 7,5 hec in GIS (Geographical information systems). Applicants must prove their knowledge of English: English 6/English B from Swedish Upper Secondary School or the equivalent level of an internationally recognized test, for example TOEFL, IELTS.
- Selection: Selection is based upon the number of credit points from previous university studies, maximum 225 hec.
International11246 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 22493 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 0 EUR for the full programme and a duration of 24 months.
- Application fee: 900 SEK
- Full programme cost: 232 806 SEK
- First payment: 58 202 SEK
We are convinced that education and research flourish in an international environment. A mixture of students from different cultures enriches the learning environment and the University believes that motivated students should have a chance to study here even if they don’t have the means to cover all costs.
- The University of Gothenburg Study Scholarship & New Scholarships from Adlerbert Scholarship Foundation
- Swedish Institute's Scholarship
- The Volvo Group Scholarship
- The Richard C. Malmsten Memorial Foundation Scholarship
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.