The Critical Gender Studies program at Central European University (CEU) is designed to educate and train future generations of gender specialists in a variety of fields and professions that address the many gendered political, cultural and social challenges of contemporary society. These fields include education, academic research, social services, non-governmental organizations, policy, social change advocacy, government advising and applied research, journalism, as well as jobs that entail various kinds of artistic production.
Gender studies in the two-year program is defined as “critical” Gender Studies, signaling the ways in which students are trained to critically analyze established ideas, systems, and inequalities that decrease the possibilities for women and men to fully reach their human potential. The program offers rigorous training in critical gender analysis, writing, research skills, oral presentations, and internship experience.
The program also allows students to develop additional skills and knowledge in one of the two special tracks: The specialization in research prepares students to enter a PhD program or any number of relevant professions. Students in the Research Track do substantial research on theses in a wide range of disciplinary approaches to gender studies. The specialization in applied gender studies involves similar coursework in theory and method but requires focused training in critical policy studies from a gender perspective and a thesis that is based on a guided internship in a field and institution within the student’s area of interest. Graduates of the Applied Track are prepared to enter careers as gender professionals in a variety of governmental and non-governmental institutions where policy is made, analyzed, and/or challenged.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Academic writing
- Foundations of Gender Studies
- Bodies Across Borders: Global Migration in Historical Perspective
- Communism and Gender: Historical and Global Perspectives
- Critical Race Theory: Race and Law from the United States to Europe
- Economic inequality: Interdisciplinary perspectives
- Gender in/and War
- Gender, Labor Markets, Neoliberalisms
- Gender, Sexuality, and Religion: Embracing, Questioning and/or Refusing the God(dess)
- Intersectionality & Interdisciplinarity in Gender Studies Research
- Feminist Qualitative Methods
- Feminist Research the of Media and Popular Culture
- Nationalism, Gender, and Sexuality
- The Law and Politics of Combating Violence Against Women
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 16: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies View 4 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Bachelor’s degree
- Academic records
- Statement of purpose
- Some knowledge of gender or feminist scholarship
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 24 months.
Generous scholarships available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.