Key to the study of nationalism is an interdisciplinary approach that includes political science, history, anthropology, sociology, and international relations. To this end, students of the one-year MA program in Nationalism Studies at Central European University (CEU) , in addition to completing courses within the Nationalism Studies Program, are also required to attend courses offered by other CEU departments. The breadth of study allows students to construct a multidimensional picture of what the nation is, how it functions, why it is relevant, and why it is so often at the heart of conflict.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Debates About Self-determination and External Minority Protection in the Twentieth Century;
Nationalism,National Identity, National Feeling: The Sociological and Socio-psychological Approach;
Nationalism and Political Theory
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 15: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
- US degree credits: 40
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Sociology View 12 other Masters in Sociology in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Central European University (CEU) and/or in Austria, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Candidates must have completed a minimum of four years with a BA degree. Applicants to the Master’s program must meet the General CEU Admissions Requirements, and submit a 500-word outline of their proposed research topic and one writing sample, e.g., a term paper of minimum ten pages. If possible, candidates should submit a writing sample that is in some way related to the topic of nationalism.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR for the full programme during 10 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/fullTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR for the full programme during 10 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.