The Nationalism Studies program at Central European University (CEU) offers an interdisciplinary approach that includes political science, history, anthropology, sociology, and international relations. To this end, students of the one-year MA program, in addition to completing courses within the Nationalism Studies Program, are also required to attend courses offered by other CEU departments. The breadth of study allows students to construct a multidimensional picture of what the nation is, how it functions, why it is relevant, and why it is so often at the heart of conflict.
Students are encouraged to engage in an interdisciplinary study of nationalism, a subject that is inherently and fundamentally interdisciplinary. For this reason, the international teaching staff has been assembled to represent a wide range of disciplinary expertise relevant to the study of nationalism including history, social theory, economics, legal studies, sociology, anthropology, international relations and political science.
The program offers a wide selection of courses that provide a complex theoretical grounding in problems associated with nationhood and nationalism combined with advanced training in the methodology of applied social science. Additional courses focus on placing problems of nationalism in the context of economic and political transition as well as constitution building in post-1989 Central and Eastern Europe, with a comparative outlook on regime transitions outside the region.
- Program approved and registered by the New York State Education Department
- Program registered as a non-degree post-graduate specialization program by the Hungarian Educational Authority (HEA)
- Program accredited by the Agency for Quality Assurance and Accreditation Austria (AQ-Austria)
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Debates About Self-determination and External Minority Protection in the Twentieth Century
- Nationalism, National Identity, National Feeling: The Sociological and Socio-psychological Approach
- Nationalism and Political Theory
- Constitutional Design and Conflict
- Law and Ethnicity
- Anthropological Approaches to Ethnicity, Racism and Nationalism
- Interpretations of Modern Anti-semitism
- The Ottoman Empire and the Post-colonial Debate
- Sociological Approaches to Race and Ethnicity: The Roma in Central Europe
- Interpreting Contemporary Nationalism in Southeastern Europe
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 10 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed, International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Feb. 1: financial aid
- March 15: self-financing candidates requiring a study visa
- Aug. 16: self-financing candidates not requiring a study visa
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Ethnic Studies Sociology View 11 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Completed online application form: www.ceu.edu/apply
- Proof of English proficiency
- Letters of recommendation
- Four-year bachelor’s degree
- Academic records
- Research proposal
- Writing sample
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 10 months.
EU/EEA12000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12000 EUR per year during 10 months.
Generous scholarships are available to accepted students from any country.
Living costs for Vienna
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
In pursuit of its mission, CEU strives to attract world-class graduate talent from all over the world, offering generous scholarships available to students from any country.
In 2018-2019, 82% of CEU students received financial aid, ranging from tuition awards to scholarships with stipends and housing. Learn more about how to fund your studies at www.ceu.edu/financialaid.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.