The broad-based program may combine work from several university resources, including courses in English, Literacy Education, and the Boise State Writing Project. The program works within the teacher’s current instructional context to connect research and theory in literacy learning with effective classroom teaching practices.
Three major strands in the program requirements (writing/composing, reading/literature, language) reflect the three areas of concentration required by the national standards for English language arts teachers including the National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE) and National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), and required by the National Professional Board of Teaching Standards (NPBTS).
- Writing Processes, Instruction, and Assessment: K-8
- The Teaching of Writing
- Teaching Creative Nonfiction, Poetry and Fiction Writing
- Composition Theory and Practice
- Theories of Rhetoric
- Boise State Writing Project Invitational Institute
- Selected Topics in Teaching English Language Arts
- Workshop (concerning writing instruction)
- Assessment and Instruction: Reading Difficulties K-12
- Advanced Children’s Literature
- Advanced Young Adult Literature
- Literature for use in Junior and Senior High Schools
- Selected Topics in Teaching English
- Language Arts
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesLanguages Teaching View 727 other Masters in Languages in United States
- Official transcripts from all colleges attended.
- A 500-word statement describing professional goals and ways the program can help achieve them.
- Teaching history.
- Two years of K-13 teaching experience.
- Two letters of recommendation from people who can describe the applicant’s academic ability and experience with and commitment to effective teaching
International25276 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25276 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
National25276 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25276 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
In-State9194 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 9194 USD per year and a duration of 24 months.
If you take over 16 hours per semester there is an additional cost of 239$ per credit (resident or non-resident)
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.