Literacy education, multicultural education, meeting the needs of learners with exceptionalities and the use of technology are integrated throughout all aspects of the program. The Teaching English as a Second Language (TESOL) program from Hofstra University conforms with the National TESOL Standards and the requirements of the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards.
Courses in this master of science in education program lead toward New York state initial teacher certification for teaching English as a second language (all grades).
- Development and Learning in Childhood and Adolescence
- Immigrant Children in the U.S. School
- Information Technology for Teachers
- Linguistics for Teachers of English-Language Learners
- Approaches to English Grammar
- Second Language Acquisition
- Contemporary Cultures of Latin America
- The Family as Educator: Multicultural Dimensions
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesLanguages Teaching Teaching English View 1846 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on all undergraduate course work, or its equivalent (e.g., a 3.0 in a completed graduate program). We encourage you to submit all transcripts from your undergraduate work and any graduate work for consideration.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 on course work in the liberal arts and sciences.
- Two letters of reference addressing the applicant's potential to succeed in the teaching profession and in graduate course work.
- Completion of General Education Core and Content requirements for teacher education programs (see below).
- Interview with the director of the TESOL Program.
- A written personal statement of professional intent and rationale.
- Twelve (12) semester hours of foreign language study or demonstrated proficiency in a second language.
International29692 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
National29692 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Hempstead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.