Students gain a strong foundation in teaching and content knowledge from experts in the field of education. Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College faculty actively engage in the educational research community and embed this vital knowledge throughout the program. This connection further empowers students to engage in their own research through the culminating action research applied project.
A series of clinical experiences or field placements are designed to assist students in developing a thorough understanding of teaching and learning as they apply knowledge from their coursework in varied school settings. Individualized guidance through our clinical framework provides students with the support they need to be successful in today's rapidly evolving educational environment.
This Special Education - Teacher Certification MEd program from Arizona State University offers two routes for students to earn a master's degree and Arizona teacher certification:
Traditional certification route --- In this route, students can receive dual Arizona teacher certification in the following teaching certificates: Mild-Moderate Disabilities Special Education, K-12 and Elementary Education, grades 1-8. Students complete an internship each semester during the first two semesters --- one in a special education setting and one in an elementary education setting. In the final semester, students complete an 8-week teaching residency.
Alternative certification route --- This route provides an alternative pathway to Arizona teacher certification in Mild-Moderate Disabilities Special Education, K-12, for full-time teachers on an Alternative Teaching Certificate (or equivalent in other states). To qualify, individuals must secure a full-time teaching position in an approved content and grade level and pass the appropriate content exam. Candidates take classes one night per week and must be continuously enrolled in teaching coursework.
Students gain skills in teaching, conducting research, utilizing technology and collaborating in teams which prepare them for educational careers working with diverse learners in grades K-12.
Career examples include:
- educator working in non-school settings
- K-12 special education teacher
- K-8 general education teacher
- special education director
- Instructional Design, Planning and Assessment
- Research and Evaluation in Education
- Creating Equitable Learning Environment: Decision Making and Action
- Educator Scholar Community
- K-8 Mathematics Methods and Assessment
- Language and Communication Methods and Assessment
- Instruction and Assessment for Learners with Exceptionalities
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Special Education Teaching View 718 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree, in any field, from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- three letters of recommendation
- personal statement
- proof of English proficiency
International26460 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26460 USD per year during 12 months.
National24498 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24498 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State12014 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12014 USD per year during 12 months.
- Online: $10,372 per year
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.