- It provides the curriculum in special education across the developmental levels and the range of disabilities for educators and related service personnel in countries in the process of meeting the goals of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (2012). The treaty affirms a worldwide movement toward inclusion of individuals with disabilities. Article 24 specifically addresses the educational issues calling for inclusion, access to general curriculum and the right of education for all people.
- Students in the The Special Education: International Perspectives (non certification) program at the Hofstra University will receive background in the foundations of special education, working with parents, assessment and diagnosis, intervention and strategies, curriculum and methods of instruction, behavior management and knowledge of the current research and issues in the field. The entire program is offered online with courses using technology to not only impart knowledge and skills, but also to engage students with their classmates in stimulating discussions and problem solving. Course content uses a variety of online tools in and around Blackboard, including: Microsoft PowerPoint; lectures and discussion activities both in Blackboard and Voice thread; and audiovisual materials. Upon completion of the degree candidates will have the ability to apply the special education content within their own professional situations to meet the goal of education for students with disabilities.
- Inclusive Education: An International Perspective
- Working with Families of Children with Disabilities: An International Perspective
- Early Intervention: An International Perspective
- Assessment and Diagnosis of Young Children: An International Perspective
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Special Education View 770 other Masters in Special Education in United States
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in education or a related field.
- A completed application to the master's program.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Two (2) letters of recommendation addressing the applicant's potential to succeed in the teaching of students with disabilities.
- A written personal statement of professional intent.
- International students are required to show passing scores on Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) examination.
International23405 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1510 USD per credit during 24 months.
National23405 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1510 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Hempstead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.