The 2017-2018 academic year inaugurated a redesign of the curriculum of the Medical Sciences program of The University of Toledo, with renewed emphasis on an organ-systems based approach where clinical and graduate faculty train students in the pathophysiology of disease and pharmacological interventions. The graduate-level courses in our curriculum incorporate materials taught to medical students during the first and second years of medical school, thus setting foundational information on the MD curriculum. Since pathophysiology of disease is a key component of USMLE exams, the new MSBS-MS curriculum has the potential to increase our student scores on Step 1 and Step 2. The MSBS-MS program also provides a unique opportunity for students to achieve meaningful clinical and/or basic science research experience. UT’s basic and clinical science faculty mentor students through their year-round Scholarly Project, allowing students to expand their view on experimental sciences while adding a strong component to their academic credentials.
The MSBS-MS program primary objectives can be summarized as follows:
- Provide clinically relevant, medical graduate-level education to students who wish to boost their academic credentials towards their goal of pursuing a career in medicine.
- Create strong foundations for improved performance in any MD/DO curriculum, and in the United States Medical Licensing Exam (USMLE) Step 1 and Step 2-Clinical Knowledge exams.
- Provide research opportunities to broaden student view on biomedical research.
Students completing the MSBS-MS program with strong academic performance will have confirmed their ability to perform in any medical school curriculum, thus greatly strengthening their admissions package.
The MSBS-MS program also provides students with insights into the medical school interview process with mock interview sessions and guidance from medical school students and faculty. Students meeting all prerequisites for UTCOM and who are in good academic standing within the MSBS-MS program, have a guaranteed medical school interview at the University of Toledo College of Medicine and Life Sciences. This demonstrates our confidence in the competitiveness of the program and reasserts our commitment to high quality of medical education. Students who successfully complete the program will be awarded the Masters in Biomedical Sciences-Medical Sciences (MSBS-MS). Completion of this degree is a requirement, but not a guarantee of admission, for MSBS-MS students seeking admission into the MD degree program at University of Toledo medical school.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Current Problems and Research Approaches in Protein Structure and Catalysis
- Current Problems and Research Approaches in Cell Biology and Signaling
- Current Problems and Research Approaches in Genes and Genomes
- Current Problems and Research Approaches in Biomembranes
- Methods in Biomedical Sciences
- Biomedical Research
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBio & Biomedical Engineering Biomedicine Human Medicine View 352 other Masters in Bio & Biomedical Engineering in United States
- Four-year Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university
- GRE Requirement
- The GMAT is only required for applicants with a GPA below 2.7 or applicants seeking Graduate Assistantship opportunities. Applicants with a GPA below 2.7 can be considered for a waiver at the discretion of the Associate Dean
- In addition to the official, final transcripts, you must also provide official certified, or attested copies of all graduation certificates, diplomas or degree certificates needed to fulfill your admission
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE/Duolingo Requirement
- All international students must also demonstrate adequate financial resources for their graduate education before they can be admitted
International12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12948 USD per year during 12 months.
National12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12948 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State7378 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7378 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Toledo
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.