- The Social Studies Education program at the Hofstra University provides advanced study in the curriculum, pedagogy, and content of social studies. Individuals may also select concentrated studies in middle level 5-6, gifted education or bilingual education certification extensions.
- The program conforms with the recommendation for teacher preparation by the National Council for Social Studies and with the New York State Learning Standards in Social Studies.
- Multicultural Curriculum and Teaching
- Middle Childhood Philosophy and Teaching
- Gender Issues in the Classroom
- Multicultural Literature in the Curriculum
- Cross-Cultural Education: Comparative Perspectives
- Urban Education
- Foundational Perspectives in Multicultural Education
- Seminar: Social Foundations of Education
- Bilingual and Biliteracy Learning and Teaching in Multilingual Settings
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Sociology Languages View 751 other Masters in Languages in United States
- A completed application form to the master's program.
- New York state initial certification for teaching social studies 7-12. Applicants who have provisional certification should contact the Department of Teaching, Learning and Technology for the correct program.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on all undergraduate course work, or its equivalent (e.g., a 3.0 in a completed graduate program). We encourage you to submit all transcripts from your undergraduate work and any graduate work for consideration.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 on course work in the content area in which certification is being sought.
- A written personal statement of professional intent and rationale.
- Two letters of reference that address the applicant's potential to succeed in the teaching profession and in graduate course work.
International26482 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
National26482 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Hempstead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.