Keeping a close eye on requirements and changes in the world of work, the Sociology - Social Research programme from University of Cologne provides students with the necessary expertise, skills and methods to conduct research, judge research findings critically and take a responsible approach to their work. With respect to subject "Sociology" the University of Cologne is ranked No.1 in germany 2019 the seconf year in a row the acknowledged Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU/"Shanghai-Ranking").
As a student of the WiSo-Faculty, you gain from an approach that is based on theory and methods, combining both research and teaching with practical elements. The teaching at our Faculty has benefited from many years of experience in working with companies and visiting lecturers from different profesional fields. Many of the visiting lecturers are professional managers who bring important industry experience to the programmes, resulting in sector-specific, up-to-date programme content four our students. This ensures that the programmes reflect the real world and that they thus combine the practical and the theoretical knowledge, whilst also promoting knowledge-sharing between comapnies and you, the student.
- As well as covering sociological theories, the programme focuses on teaching social science methods and statistics.
- Taking into account the requirements of and changes in the world in which students will work, it equips them with the knowledge, abilities and methods they need to be able to conduct research work, critically assess research findings and act in a responsible manner.
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- Application in the case of unfinished Bachelor studies: In cases where present Bachelor studies have not been fully completed, application is permitted if the candidate has earned at least 80% of the required credits and will have achieved the remaining results by 30 September at the latest. The specific admission criteria governing the designated course of study must already have been fulfilled on the basis of the exam results available at the time of application.
- at least 18 ECTS in the field of Sociology or Social Psychology
- at least 12 ECTS in the field of Methods in Quantitative Social Sciences, Applied Quantitative Empirical Social Research, or Statistics
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
The University of Cologne does not charge any tuition fees.
Each semester, all enrolled students of the University of Cologne have to pay a social fee.
Living costs for Köln
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.