Our program reflects advances in literacy research and policies that are consistent with the New York State Board of Regents requirements. The program provides graduate students with the most current understandings of literacy learning theories, pedagogical practices for use with students in early childhood to grade 12 classrooms, children's and adolescent literature, assessment practices, and literacy support for culturally and linguistically diverse learners, and for students with special needs.
Through face-to-face, hybrid and online courses, as well as a depth of field projects and clinical work, our program prepares literacy specialists and classroom teachers to provide support and nurturing of readers and writers, and to facilitate assessment driven instructional planning and professional learning within a school. Graduate students in the Literacy Studies program meet the educational requirements for certification as literacy teachers in early childhood and childhood education, birth through grade 6, or middle childhood and adolescence, grade 5 through grade 12.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Sociocultural Perspectives of Language and Literacy Learning
- Bilingual and Biliteracy Learning and Teaching in Multilingual Settings
- Reading and Writing With Children: Pedagogical Practices
- Children's Literature in Literacy Learning and Instruction
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies View 893 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- BA or BS degree with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0, or its equivalent (e.g., a 3.0 in a completed graduate program). We encourage you to submit all transcripts from your undergraduate work and any graduate work for consideration.
- Submission of scores on a nationally-normed graduate admission test (GRE or Praxis). Recent SAT/ACT exams may be accepted if verifiable by the test provider.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Possession of a New York State Initial or Professional Teaching Certificate.
- Interview with a program director in literacy studies.
International1344 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1344 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
National1344 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1344 USD per credit and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.