The Master of Science in Education in English Education program from Hofstra University is designed to blend on-campus preparation with field experiences in a variety of school settings, culminating in full-time student teaching. Literacy, multicultural education, and information technology are integrated throughout all aspects of the program.
The program conforms with the New York State Learning Standards in English Language Arts and with the recommendations for teacher preparation of the National Council of Teachers of English.
- The Exceptional Child
- Inclusion in Today's Schools
- General Methods Courses
- General Methods of Teaching
- Language, Culture and Identity: Literacy Issues for Adolescents and Young Adults
- Language and Literacy in Middle Childhood and Adolescence
- Reading and Writing With Adolescents: Pedagogical Practices
- Special Methods and Curriculum Courses
- Curriculum and Instruction in English
- Instructional Patterns for English
- Internship in Secondary English
- Electives Supporting the Content Area of Certification
- Student Teaching and Corequisite Seminar
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesEducation Language Studies Languages View 1103 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
- A completed application form to the master's program.
- A minimum overall GPA of 3.0 on all undergraduate course work or its equivalent (e.g., a 3.0 in a completed graduate program). We encourage you to submit all transcripts from your undergraduate work and any graduate work for consideration.
- A minimum GPA of 2.75 on course work in the content area in which certification is being sought.
- Completion of General Education Core prerequisites for teacher education programs (see below).
- A written personal statement of professional intent and rationale.
- Two letters of reference that address the applicant's potential to succeed in the teaching profession and in graduate course work.
International29692 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
National29692 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1605 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Hempstead
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.