Students pursue these English programs at University of Windsor in a collegial and supportive environment with internationally renowned faculty dedicated to research, teaching, and publishing.
Our department offers various learning and internship opportunities including a graduate seminar in composition pedagogy unique in Canada.
We publish two international literary journals (Windsor ReView and Rampike); support two in-house student journals and an international website (thesicklytaper.com); and host a vibrant series of literary readings and scholarly presentations as well as a Writer in Residence and a Resident Writing Professional.
As our Creative Writing program is an MA rather than a terminal MFA, graduating students also have the option to proceed into English PhD programs.
The English department offers two fields within the MA. Program in English: Literature and Language and, Literature and Creative Writing. Within the Literature and Language field, there are two options: the Thesis Option and the Course Work Option.
The Literature and Creative Writing field allows students to combine graduate-level study of literature with advanced work on creative writing in a two-term workshop and by developing a significant independent writing project. Within the Literature and Language field, the Course Work Option offers exposure to a wide variety of topics in literature, composition and rhetoric, and theory. The Thesis Option allows students to investigate a single topic in depth through independent, extended research with faculty supervision.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Creative Writing Seminar A and B (Fall and Winter Terms)
- Five graduate seminar coursesENGL-8970.
- Thesis/Project (of at least 20,000 words)
Course work Option
- Eight graduate seminar courses.
- For both fields, students must include ENGL-8000, Scholarship and the Profession (or equivalent) in their program in addition to their regular course load.
- 18 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Languages View 66 other Masters in Languages in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Windsor and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
n addition to the requirements under section titled, Application Procedures and under section titled, The Master's Degree - Admission Requirements, for admission to the Faculty of Graduate Studies and to programs leading to the Master's degree, applicants for admission to the Candidate year in the programs leading to the Master of Arts degree in English should have the following undergraduate preparation:
- Some courses, normally four, in the pre- and early-modern periods, that is, from Old English through the Eighteenth Century;
- Some courses, normally four, in the modern period, that is, the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries, including Canadian and American;
- Some courses, normally two, from the areas of Critical History, Theory and Approaches, Scholarship and Bibliography, and Language and Linguistics;
- Additional courses from any of the above areas to make up the total number of courses required for a four-year English B.A.
International15330 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7665 CAD per semester during 18 months.
National4786 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2393 CAD per semester during 18 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.