About this Degree
The Master of Arts in Teaching degree with a concentration in Secondary Education (Grades 6-12) at James Madison University emphasizes the preparation of effective and reflective teachers who are knowledgeable in the content they are preparing to teach and cognizant of the characteristics of adolescents, ages 12-18. The areas in which individuals may be licensed include English, mathematics, biology, chemistry, earth and space science, physics, and history and social sciences (includes licensure to teach history, economics, geography and political science).
This three-semester graduate licensure program starts with foundational pedagogical concepts and skills, with the following semesters building on those experiences. Candidates who complete the program will leave with field experiences in middle school and high school, as well as be fully equipped with essential teacher “tool-kit” skills for successful classroom instruction.
Candidates interested in the requirements for the M.A.T. program in physical and health education (PreK-12) should refer to the description for that program in the Department of Kinesiology. Candidates interested in the requirements for the secondary licensure program in foreign languages should refer to the description for that program in Department of Foreign Languages, Literatures and Cultures in the undergraduate catalog.
- Teaching in a Diverse Society
- General Instructional Methods for Grades 6-12
- Clinical Experience in Adolescent Education
- Content Methods for the Middle School
- Literacy-Based Learning in Secondary Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
- Completed applications should be received at least six weeks prior to the start of the semester in which the student intends to enroll.
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Secondary Education View 2029 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- Resume (upload with online application)
- Virginia passing score on the Praxis Subject Assessment. Candidates may be conditionally admitted to the program but must submit a passing score to the JMU Education Support Center prior to beginning more than 12 credit hours of M.A.T. graduate coursework
- Interview with Graduate Program Director (will be scheduled after submission of application)
- No letter of recommendation is required. Two professional references will be solicited by the Educational Support Center later in the Teacher Education application process. References must know the candidate for at least 6 months in a professional capacity.
International20720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National20720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State8155 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.