Although the goals for the M.A. reflect those of the M.F.A., the M.A. degree is viewed as an option for studio study, which does not result in a terminal degree in the visual arts.
- To develop and improve artistic skills in two- and three-dimensional art.
- To promote the candidate's ability to develop ways of individual inquiry.
The Art Studio program of study at James Madison University includes 15 hours of studio in the applicant's area of interest, six hours of art history, three hours of contemporary art theory and six hours of elective credit. Near the end of the program of study, the candidate must produce an exhibition of his/her graduate artwork, a slide or CD portfolio of the exhibition (to be retained by the university) and written statement clarifying the student's work, its development and its cultural and historical references. An oral comprehensive examination, generally in conjunction with the exhibition and closely related to the written statement, will also be held.
- Contemporary Art Theory
- Modern Art Since 1945
- Art History
- Art Theory and Criticism
- Graduate Integrative Seminar
- Criticism of Art
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History View 444 other Masters in Art History in United States
- An artist statement of 500 words or less explaining your principle ideas and motivation engaged in the artwork submitted in your portfolio
- Brief statement of purpose of 500 words or less explaining why you wish to study studio art at the graduate level
- Portfolio of between 10 to 15 items
- Three letters of recommendation
International17760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
National17760 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1184 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State6990 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 466 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for Harrisonburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.