You explore teaching methods and the description of English used in the investigation of language learning and teaching, and study additional topics according to your needs. These might include:
- How second language learners acquire the four skills as well as language systems
- How the four skills, vocabulary and grammar can be taught
- How language learning can be assessed and tested
- How different aspects of the psychology of language learners and teachers influence learning and classroom practice
- How language lessons are planned, how materials are evaluated and designed, and how language classrooms can be managed
You also gain hands-on teaching experience through our Teaching Practice I and Teaching Practice II modules.
Takers of our Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) at University of Essex come with the specific intention of entering the ELT/TESOL profession, which they duly go on to do.
Experiences English language teachers also join us to update their expertise and return to the classroom with a career enhancement.
The specialist knowledge you gain enables you to take senior or specialist roles, not necessarily only in the classroom but also in educational advice and management, programme evaluation, syllabus design and teacher education.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teaching, Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking in TEFL/TESOL
- Topics in the Psychology of Language Learning and Teaching
- Teaching Younger Learners
- Language Learning Across the Lifespan
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to .
DisciplinesLanguages Teaching Teaching English View 435 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2.2 degree (or international equivalent) in the following disciplines: English Language Studies, English Language and Literature, Teaching(English), Linguistics, Modern Languages.
- We will also consider applicants with a degree in an unrelated area but which contains a substantial element of English language, language education, linguistics, language studies or language teaching, or who can demonstrate a personal or professional interest or expertise in English and/or English language teaching.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/UK fee: £4,600
- International fee: £9,870
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.