The Phoenix metropolitan area is home to a booming job market for talented employees with GIS skills. The Geographic Information Systems MAS program from Arizona State University prepares students for careers in private and public industry where employees with these skill sets are needed for a wide range of positions, such as software developers, GIS analysts, mapping engineers, real estate researchers and more!
Our program places the focus on location – the heart of geography and GIS. From that foundation, you will learn advanced modeling solutions in GIS and Earth-observing, as well as how to integrate computer science, statistics and geography to address a multitude of questions.
Small class sizes ensure quality attention from the faculty and classes are held in the evening during the week, allowing flexibility for the working professional. Our comprehensive program is achievable in just one year – giving you the opportunity to quickly gain career-impacting skills for a growing industry.
Professionals with expertise in geospatial information science are in high demand across sectors and industries, including consulting firms, government agencies and community organizations. Skills in geographical data science, mapping and data analysis are valuable to businesses and institutions relying on data-driven approaches to solve complex real-world problems.
Students prepare for careers in private and public industry in which employees with these skill sets are needed for a wide range of positions, such as software developers, GIS analysts, mapping engineers, real estate researchers and more. Additional career examples include:
- cartographer or photogrammetrist
- geospatial information scientist or technologist
- geospatial intelligence analyst
- mapping technician
- software developer
- remote sensing scientist or technologist
- Spatial Statistics and Modeling
- Implementation in the Corporate and Public Sectors
- GIS Project Planning and Implementation
- GIS Project Presentation
- Programming the GIS Environment
- GIS Technologies
- GIS and Business
- GIS for the Internet
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesGeography Informatics & Information Technology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 217 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United States
- Applicants must fulfill the requirements of both the Graduate College and The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's degree in a related field from a regionally accredited institution or if they demonstrate a minimum of three years related professional experience with a bachelor's degree in any field from a regionally accredited institution.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- personal statement
- two letters of recommendation
- proof of English proficiency
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Interested in financing your studies? Find a student loan that works for you.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.