The M.S. degree in Geology at the University of Southern Mississippi allows students to focus on a range of topics while gaining experience with faculty members and conducting their own thesis research.
What Will I Learn?
Students in the M.S. program in Geology can take graduate courses in environmental geology, structural geology, petroleum geology, paleontology, and marine geology. Students who graduate with an M.S. in Geology are well prepared for a wide range of professions. Many of our alumni have gone on to pursue successful careers in the oil and gas industry, mining, resource management, and environmental analysis.
- Students pursuing an MS degree in Geology will be required to choose either a thesis or a non-thesis degree option. A minimum of thirty (30) graduate hours (18 hours at the 600 level), with a 3.0 GPA, is required to graduate.
- With the approval of the student's committee, the student has an option of taking up to twelve (12) semester hours of cognate courses outside of the discipline within the minimum hourly requirements. Students who choose the thesis option should identify a general area of thesis research and establish a thesis director and graduate committee during their first semester in the program.
- A thesis prospectus should be approved by the graduate committee no later than the end of the second semester. The student must complete an original research project and submit and defend a thesis to receive the M.S. degree in geology. Students must also pass a comprehensive exam.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Geology View 320 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
- Admission is based on grade point average (GPA), three letters of recommendation from persons qualified to assess the applicant's readiness for graduate study and submission of official results on the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants must also submit a statement of purpose and three letters of recommendation. Both the overall GPA and a GPA calculated for courses (excluding special problems courses) in geology and other sciences, mathematics, computer science, and statistics will be considered. Applicants must upload a resume or curriculum vitae into the application.
- Applicants who do not have degrees in geology will be considered for admission but will be required to remedy any deficiencies, including geology field camp, compared to the courses required for the B.S. in geology at The University of Southern Mississippi. Students who are not admitted as regular graduate students may be considered for conditional admission
International7320 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 488 USD per credit during 24 months.
National7320 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 488 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for West Hattiesburg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.