At the Art History MA program from Arizona State University , students engage with a rich and diverse curriculum. Faculty members emphasize critical concepts in their teaching including a close study of artists, objects and technologies. We explore art's history in economic, social and political contexts, and the relationship of visual art to other disciplines, such as literature, science, anthropology, media and performance studies. Our faculty is nationally and internationally renowned for their scholarly expertise and care in student mentoring.
The ASU art history faculty, one of the largest areas in the School of Art, is a dynamic center for the investigation of the visual. We seek to train students to engage with visuality in multiple ways and offer a diverse curriculum intended to foster critical understanding of aesthetics, production, patronage and consumption of art. We have three degree tracks: BA (Art History and Museum Studies), MA, and a cross-institute Ph.D. (in Design, Environment and the Arts). We work to tailor programs to student interests at undergraduate and graduate levels. There are ten full-time faculty study objects and images across time periods (from ancient to contemporary culture) and geographies around the world (Asian, European, the Americas), embracing multiple approaches and methodologies.
A graduate degree is necessary for many professional positions. A Master of Arts in art history or museum studies prepares individuals for the following:
- teaching at the community college level
- practicing and publishing as an art critic or writer
- enhancing one's own practice as an artist
- gaining entry into museums, archives, historical societies, auction houses, publishing companies and academic presses, as well as to art libraries.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The Renaissance in Tuscany
- Art of Italian Renaissance
- German Renaissance and Reformation Art
- Italian High Renaissance Art and Mannerism
- Artists in Film: Artists' Biopics
- History of Animation
- Women in the Visual Arts
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Art History Liberal Arts View 799 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Applicants are eligible to apply to the program if they have earned a bachelor's or master's degree from a regionally accredited institution. In addition, applicants must have an undergraduate major or minor in art history or at least four upper-division art history courses in which a GPA of 3.00 or higher was maintained.
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in the last 60 hours of their first bachelor's degree program, or applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.00 (scale is 4.00 = "A") in an applicable master's degree program.
All applicants must submit:
- graduate admission application and application fee
- official transcripts
- GRE scores
- three letters of recommendation.
- one formal research paper for review
- one-page statement of intent indicating the objectives for graduate study
- proof of English proficiency
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25200 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25200 USD per year during 12 months.
National23544 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23544 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State11720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11720 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Tempe Junction
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.