The Urban Planning and Community Development program at the University of Massachusetts Boston brings together the expertise of faculty from several colleges within the university and builds upon decades of research and community engagement by the university’s institutes and centers, which collectively focus on the metropolitan area’s diverse population, governance, and its built and natural environments.
In addition, the program takes advantage of partnerships with community-based organizations to promote economic development, affordable housing, and small business development, with a deliberate agenda to address social and environmental inequity and serve the needs and interests of underrepresented communities.
What You Can Take
- Students take core courses in the foundations of planning, cities, and urban economies gaining an understanding of human settlements drawing from concepts and theories from social and environmental sciences.
- Students complete method and technique courses in quantitative and qualitative research methods and geographic and management information systems. Students choose a concentration (Environmental Planning or Community Development) and complete 5 courses within their area of concentration. All students complete a capstone Design Studio rounding out the 48 credit hours required for the degree.
- History and Theory of Planning
- Urban Economics and the Environment
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Land Use Controls
- The Urban Development Process
- Law, Ethics, and Practice
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction Urban Planning View 400 other Masters in Architecture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Online Application and Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
International35980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17990 USD per semester during 12 months.
National35980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17990 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18432 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9216 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.