We provide an advanced conceptual understanding of the international law on the promotion and protection of human rights, at the international, regional and national level, informed by the latest practice and scholarship.
Our course sets international human rights law in its philosophical and historical contexts, enabling you to understand international human rights law as it applies in various situations including states of emergency or acute crises, development and transition.
The majority of our students go on, or return, to work in human rights as litigators, in NGOs and international organisations like the UN, in government (particularly Ministries of Foreign Affairs) and in academia. They are a conspicuous presence in all the key human rights hubs in the world.
Our School of Law graduates have gone on to a wide variety of careers in international and intergovernmental organisations or employment with governments across the world, in commerce and banking, in non-governmental organisations and, as might be expected, in the legal profession and the judiciary.
- National Protection Officer for UNHCR
- An advocate for Refugees International
- A lawyer for the Registry of the European Court of Human Rights
- An adviser for the Association for the Prevention of Torture (APT)
- Lead lawyer for the Human Rights Advocacy Centre/Memorial
- A trade promotion manager at the Department of Trade and Industry
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Human Rights Clinic
- Religion and Human Rights
- Human Rights, International Relations and Diplomacy
- Dissertation: LLM International Human Rights Law
- International Human Rights: Theories and Institutions
- International Human Rights Law: Law and Practice
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to .
DisciplinesInternational Law Civil & Private Law Master of Laws (LLM) View 397 other Masters in International Law in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2:2 honours degree, or international equivalent, in a Social Science, Law or any Humanities subject.
- While prior academic study or professional experience of law is desirable, it is not a requirement for admission. LLM students who have not previously studied Public International Law will take a one-term module on this topic.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.