You explore topics including:
- Models and mathematics in portfolio management
- Risk management in modern banking
- Financial modelling
- Actuarial modelling
- Applied statistics
In recent years, finance has been one of the areas where high-calibre mathematicians have been in great demand. With the advent of powerful and yet economically accessible computing, online trading has become a common activity, but many have realised that a certain amount of mathematics is necessary to be successful in such fields.
There is undoubtedly a shortage of mathematicians in general, and an even greater one of those with knowledge of finance.
The Mathematics and Finance course at the University of Essex produces graduates with a sound background in mathematics and finance. Key employability skills include computing, use of algorithms, data analysis, mathematical modelling and understanding financial statements.
Our graduates are highly sought after by a range of employers and find employment in financial services, scientific computation, decision making support and government, risk assessment, statistics, education and other sectors.
We also offer supervision for PhD, MPhil and MSc by Dissertation. We have an international reputation in many areas such as semi-group theory, optimisation, probability, applied statistics, bioinformatics and mathematical biology, and our staff are strongly committed to research and to the promotion of graduate activities.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Combinatorial Optimisation
- Mathematics of Portfolios
- Statistical Methods
- Stochastic Processes
- Financial Derivatives
- Research Methods
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to .
DisciplinesMathematics Finance Actuarial Science View 859 other Masters in Finance in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- A 2:2 degree in one of the following subjects: Mathematics, Statistics, Operational research, Finance, Economics, Business Engineering, Computing, Biology, Physics or Chemistry.
- Will consider applicants with a unrelated degree but which contained at least three modules in calculus, algebra, differential equations, probability & statistics, optimisation or other mathematical modules.
- Applicants with a degree below a 2:2 or equivalent will be considered dependent on any relevant professional or voluntary experience, previous modules studied and/or personal statement.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8760 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8760 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.