Chalmers University of Technology is a leading Swedish university in the production engineering area, in terms of research as well as education. Within the Production Engineering programme, there is a close cooperation with industry providing an attractive environment both for national and international students as several of the collaborating companies operate on the global market.
Manufacturing is of fundamental importance for the welfare in society and is closely related to the capability of fulfilling the demands for economic, ecologic and social sustainability. Around one third of the jobs in the European Union are related to the manufacturing sector and there are many global manufacturing companies located in Gothenburg, e.g. Volvo Cars, Volvo Trucks, and SKF. The Production Engineering programme is continuously interacting with these companies and many more through real-world project courses, master thesis projects, field-trips, guest lectures etc.
The professional area for a production engineer goes across sectors - from automotive, medicine and health care industry to food production. With a broad production engineering knowledge base, the programme gives a wide spectrum of career opportunities including advancement as specialists in the areas of Production Systems, Manufacturing Processes, and Production Management.
Three of the most common employments directly after graduation are:
- Manufacturing engineer: developing production lines and new technology at major companies and SMEs.
- Manufacturing and logistics consultants, e.g. in the virtual manufacturing field.
- Manufacturing management trainees at major companies such as Volvo, Scania, and Orkla Foods.
Other common examples among our alumni are: project leaders, automation engineers, machine designers, business developers, and managers for production and development organisations after some years of work experience.
Alumni surveys show that all respondents got relevant jobs after their Production Engineering degree. Examples of employers are: H&M, Scania Trucks, Volvo Cars, Volvo Trucks, SKF, Toyota, Rolls Royce, Ericsson and ÅF. Alumni are also qualified for PhD studies at Chalmers or other universities world-wide.
- Manufacturing processes
- Production systems
- Production management
- Materials characterisation and failure analysis
- Simulation of production systems
- Metal cutting
The master's programme in Production Engineering is aimed at students with a bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Automation and Mechatronics, Industrial Economics, or an equivalent degree as Industrial Engineering.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesIndustrial & Systems Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 26 other Masters in Industrial & Systems Engineering in Sweden
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Chalmers University of Technology and/or in Sweden, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelor´s degree (or the equivalent) with a Major in Mechanical Engineering, Automation and Mechatronics Engineering or Industrial Engineering and Management.
- Prerequisites: Mathematics (at least 30 credits) (including Linear algebra, Numerical analysis, Multivariable analysis and Mathematical Statistics), Mechanics, Strength of materials, Engineering materials, Manufacturing engineering, Automation or Automatic control, Industrial economics, Computer-aided design and Programming.
- Preferable course experience: Maintenance, Production planning, Human factors, Virtual production and Logistics.
International13205 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13205 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEAFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 EUR per year during 24 months.
- 140 000 SEK
Living costs for Göteborg
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.