Prospective applicants may also be interested in several academic offerings involving cooperation between the Biology Department and the School for the Environment. In addition, the Biology Department offers a master of science program in biotechnology and biomedical sciences.
Students in the MS Program in Biology at the University of Massachusetts Boston must complete 30 graduate credits (20 in course work and 10 in research) which generally culminates in a research based thesis. A faculty advisor assists each student in selecting a cohesive program of study. We have a diverse faculty with strong and active research programs in molecular biology, cell biology, environmental biology, organismal biology, and evolutionary biology. Please review our faculty interests and course offerings to see if our program fits your needs.
- Extensive resources are available to students in the program for advanced study in behavior, biochemistry, conservation biology, cytology, developmental cell biology, genetics, ecology, microbiology, molecular biology, and plant and animal physiology.
- Among the program’s facilities are research laboratories, instrument rooms, warm and cold environment rooms and growth chambers, greenhouses, animal quarters, and vehicles and boats for field work. The Biology Department manages the University Environmental Genomics Center with DNA sequencing, Phosphorimaging and Real-time PCR capabilities.
- Biology also manages the new Biology Imaging Center with confocal and fluorescent as well as transmission and scanning electron microscopy.
- Research labs are well equipped with a variety of standard and specialized equipment including chromatographs, mass spectrometers, a variety of spectrophotometers, an amino acid analyzer, preparative and ultracentrifuges, beta/gamma counters, filmless autoradiography, tissue culture facilities, cryogenic and ultra cold storage, and a CO2 gas analyzer. A wide variety of microcomputers and printers is available throughout the University.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Biochemistry Genetics View 1168 other Masters in Biology in United States
- Bachelor's Degree
- Online Application and Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
International35980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17990 USD per semester during 12 months.
National35980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17990 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18432 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9216 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.