Set in the vibrant city of Boston, students will find a community of scholars here at UMass Boston and the opportunity to work closely with faculty and each other studying the current sociological issues of our time. Graduate students regularly present at conferences, publish in academic journals and participate in grant funded research. The Fact Sheet provides more detailed information.
We offer a master degree in Applied Sociology at the University of Massachusetts Boston. Our graduates are researchers, managers, instructors, policy analysts, and service providers in health care, social service and criminal justice agencies, and in corporate departments throughout the area and the country. Many have continued their advanced studies in PhD programs.
- The study of Sociology, Social Psychology, or Criminology & Criminal Justice provides an excellent background for many careers.
- Our graduates pursue work or graduate study in human services, corrections, law, teaching, public health, business, urban planning, public relations, research, and media.
- Click the following links to access information about possible career paths in Sociology and Criminology. Then ask your advisor to help you choose courses that support your interests.
- Many academic associations and professional organizations offer online career resources which may be of interest to students and emerging professionals. Searches of the groups’ websites may reveal professional development advice, open job postings, and conference information.
- Organizations related to our department’s majors include: American Sociological Association (especially the ASA’s Career Center page), American Society of Criminology, American Psychological Association, National Organization for Victim Assistance, American Correctional Association, American Parole and Probation Association, Discover Policing, and ASIS International.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology Criminology View 561 other Masters in Sociology in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Online Application and Fee
- Official Transcripts
- Test Scores
- Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
International35980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17990 USD per semester during 12 months.
National35980 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 17990 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18432 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9216 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Boston
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.