Special Education applicants at The City University of New York must qualify for a New York State Transitional B Certificate as a Teacher of Students with Disabilities Generalist (7-12).
Students who do not possess Transitional B Alternative Certification Certificates or who have Transitional B Alternative Certificates but who are not employed as teachers will be required to complete six credits of student teaching. Applicants must present evidence of six credits of prior upper division undergraduate or graduate work in each of four areas: humanities, including English; social sciences; mathematics; physical and/or life sciences.
Student Learning Outcomes
- Apply course work in classroom settings, analyze P–12 student learning, and reflect on their practice in the context of theories on teaching and learning. Engage in structured activities related to the roles for which they are preparing.
- Collect and analyze formative assessment data on student learning, reflect on teaching and student performance to select, adapt and use instruction strategies and materials according to characteristics of the individual with exceptional learning needs.
- Development of knowledge of skills for working with colleagues, parents and families, and communities for the benefits of students with special needs.
- Design learning environments that encourage active participation in individual and group activities for students with special needs.
- Plan a) developmentally appropriate curricular, instruction and adaptations based on knowledge of individual students with exceptional learning needs [development and learning experiences], the family, and the community through a continuum of intervention strategies in order to support access of students in the general curriculum and daily routines; b) preventative and reductive strategies to address challenging behaviors.
- Competencies required to complete the initial stages of a research project, lines of inquiry or questioning, analysis of research, and research findings in order to expand the professional identify to include the role of “teacher as researcher.”
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Students with Special Needs
- Learning Environments for Students with Special Needs
- Educational Assessment of Young Children and Students with Special Needs
- Special Issues in Education: Communication and School-aged Students with Special Needs
- Seminar in Applied Theory and Research
- Instructional Strategies for Students with Special Needs
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
Applications accepted on a rolling basis until all places are filled.
DisciplinesSpecial Education Teaching View 694 other Masters in Special Education in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended (applicants who earned a bachelor's degree outside the United States need to submit a 'Course by Course International Transcript Evaluation.')
- Two letters of recommendation
- Photocopy of New York State or other state teaching certificate
- A brief biographical statement of 500 to 1,000 words describing your reasons for pursuing the specific graduate program to which you are applying and your future professional goals.
- F-1 or J-1 international students must submit English Proficiency Exam
- Interview with department.
International855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
National855 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 12 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 3 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.