The emphasis of the International Relations course offered by the University of Essex is on explaining and understanding international events, rather than simply the intellectual history of international relations as a field.
You also take optional modules from a large selection offered by our department, including:
- Global environmental issues
- Democracies in Europe
- Forecasting global trends
- International security
- Conflict resolution
All Essex politics graduates have the distinction of a qualification from one of the world’s leading politics departments.
Our MA International Relations will help you develop key employability skills which will make you attractive to both the public and private sector, including analytical reasoning, research design, communication and report writing.
Recent graduates have gone on to work for the following high-profile organisations:
- The Civil Service
- Local government
- The World Bank
- The United Nations
- YouGov and YouGov America
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Theories of International Relations
- The Analysis of Conflict and Peace
- Democracy, Violence, and Inequality in Latin America
- International Security Studies
Gender and Armed Conflict
- Israeli Politics
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
We recommend that you apply as soon as you are able to.
DisciplinesInternational Relations Political Science View 536 other Masters in International Relations in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Essex and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A 2.2 degree in Political Science, International Relations, International Studies, American Studies, United States Politics, Economics, Finance or Statistics.
- A 2.2 degree in any subject which includes study in two relevant modules. Relevant modules include, but are not limited to:
- Comparative Political Systems
- Constitutional Democracy
- Contemporary World Affairs
- Current Affairs
- Democratic Theory
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9200 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/UK fee: £4,600
- International fee: £9,870
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.