The Liberal Studies curriculum at The City University of New York provides students with an integrated, sequential exploration of central works and topics in the liberal arts. The major focus is on the social sciences and humanities with attention paid to the development and impact of scientific thought and technological developments.
Consisting of 30 credits and structured to facilitate the completion of all coursework in two years, students are required to take two courses in the Liberal Studies sequence during each of four semesters. In addition they are encouraged to enroll in one elective course during a summer term and one during their fourth semester in the program.
The program holds full membership in and is accredited by the Association of Graduate Liberal Studies Programs.
- Roots of Modern Culture
- Roots of Modern Society
- Modern Culture
- Interaction of Western and Non-Western Societies
- Ancient Roots of Modern Thought
- Thesis Research and Writing Preparation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Liberal Arts View 779 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United States
- A bachelor of arts or bachelor of science degree with a cumulative grade point average of at least 3.0 is required for admission. Students with other bachelor’s degrees and/or with cumulative averages of less than 3.0 may be considered following an interview with the program coordinator of the Master of Arts in Liberal Studies.
- $75.00 non-refundable application fee
- English Proficiency Examination
International12825 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
National12825 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 855 USD per credit during 24 months.
- Local students: $5,545 / semester
Living costs for New York City
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.