Closely tied to industry needs and applications, the program supports research in nanomaterials, semiconductor materials, biomaterials, composites, metallurgy, welding, micro-joining, manufacturing, computational modeling, and materials synthesis, post-treatment, and characterization. The flexibility of the program structure encourages students to explore research in conventional disciplines as well as those in inter- or multi-disciplines. The Materials Science and Engineering from Portland State University features research thrusts spanning a wide range of cutting-edge and cross-disciplinary areas.
From zero-gravity experiments in space to developing nano-materials for biomedical application, faculty within the Mechanical & Materials Engineering Department engage in a variety of innovative research areas. At Portland State University, students can work in tandem with faculty who are locally and internationally recognized as academics on the forefront of their endeavors.
Careers in the Material Science Engineering field can span various industries, including:
- additive manufacturing
- heating, ventilation, and air conditioning
- materials and metals
- mechanical design
- patent law
- research and development
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Phase Transformations and Kinetics in Materials
- Scanning Electron Microscopy for Materials and Device Characterizations
- Transmission Electron Microscopy and Chemical Analysis of Materials
- Materials Failure Analysis
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 373 other Masters in Materials Science & Engineering in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Portland State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- To be considered for regular admission, applicants must have a minimum undergraduate GPA of 2.75 or the equivalent (on the U.S. 4.0 scale) from the degree granting institution(s). Applicants who have earned 9 or more letter-graded graduate credits must have a minimum graduate GPA of 3.0 or the equivalent; this graduate GPA supersedes the undergraduate GPA.
- Copies of official degree certificate/diploma
- Certified translation of transcripts
- Financial documentation demonstrating adequate financial support for at least the first year of study
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International33120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 736 USD per credit during 12 months.
National33120 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 736 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State22905 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 509 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.