The Geography MA program from San José State University may also be a more generalized study of cultural, physical, or environmental geography. The program closely follows the research interests of the geography faculty.
Because of the small size of the faculty, most students follow an individualized program that includes courses and seminars in related disciplines, such as Environmental Studies and Urban and Regional Planning. Although the department requires knowledge of the fundamentals of geography and GIS, it welcomes students whose undergraduate work has been in other disciplines, and who can apply their training to geographic problems.
Graduates with Geography from San José State University will:
- Demonstrate the ability to critically evaluate and interpret published research on the theoretical foundations of geographical information science.
- Demonstrate the ability to explain contemporary issues in geographic information science in the context of current theory.
- Demonstrate the ability to define a research problem and design and execute a research program.
- Demonstrate the ability to evaluate and interpret research results in the context of current theory.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate research results in written, graphic, and verbal form.
- Demonstrate understanding of how geographic information science and technology may be applied to a variety of problems.
- Geographic Information Technology
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Geographic Information Science Applications
- Advanced Geographic Techniques
- Spatial Analysis
- Cartography: Dynamic and Interactive Mapping
- Geographic Information Systems: Project Development
- Remote Sensing: Digital Analysis
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesGeography Climate Studies & Meteorology Geographical Information Systems (GIS) View 318 other Masters in Geography in United States
- Application form
- Two Letters Of Recommendation.
- Statement Of Purpose And CV/Resume
- U.S. bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution, or the completion of a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized, accredited, and approved institution from a country outside of the U.S.
- A 2.5 institutional GPA (from the 0.0-4.0 U.S. grading scale) in the last degree completed, or a 2.5 GPA in the last two years of full time study
- Good academic standing at the last institution attended
- English Language Proficiency Exam
- International Coursework and Degrees
- Submit U.S./Canada Transcripts
- Submit Test Scores
- Submit Declaration of Finance Form
- Submit Bank Letter or Bank Statement
- Submit Copy of Current Passport
- Submit Copy of Current Visa
International7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
National7176 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3588 USD per semester during 12 months.
- Non-CA Resident tuition includes an additional $396 per unit.
Living costs for San Jose
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.