Students enroll in the English program at Portland State University for a variety of reasons. Some wish to teach in primary, secondary, or higher education. Others use the MA to prepare for doctoral study in English and related fields or for further study in law, public policy, or business. Many students enter the MA program simply with an enthusiasm for literature and the activities associated with the study of English: reading, writing, research, discussion, debate, interpretation, and analysis. The MA program trains students to become highly proficient in all of these skills and to apply them in various professional settings.
Outside the classroom, students benefit from a wide range of intellectual and cultural resources and opportunities. The department regularly organizes a variety of events, including talks by visiting academics, readings by writers and poets, research salons, and an annual graduate student colloquium that showcases the work of our students. Beyond campus, the city of Portland beckons with its cafes, bookstores, museums, concerts, and food carts.
Students graduate from the program as sophisticated readers and effective writers. They are trained to analyze complex problems and solve them with insight and imagination. Students also learn how to plan, research, implement, and evaluate long-term projects. These skills will never become obsolete and they are highly sought after by employers in many different fields. Several of our recent graduates have been accepted for doctoral study at Cornell, Michigan, Rice, Toronto, Tufts, UC Santa Barbara, Wisconsin, and more. Many others find jobs as teachers and in the business or nonprofit sector. The department regularly runs information and training sessions on career paths after graduation.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Postcolonial Ecology
- Romanticism and Translation
- Comics History
- The Sublime
- Renaissance Metamorphoses
- Science Fiction
- Digital Rhetoric
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies View 991 other Masters in Language Studies in United States
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Portland State University and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Statement of purpose: Approximately 1,000 words explaining your reasons for choosing to undertake graduate work in English, your intellectual training, areas of interest, and why you have chosen to apply to Portland State.
- Critical writing sample (15-20 pages total): A 15-20 page paper, or two papers totaling around 15-20 pages of writing, representing the applicant's best academic writing, often a revised essay from an undergraduate course or part of a senior project.
- At least 2 letters of recommendation (3 letters preferred)
- Unofficial transcripts: Submit an unofficial transcript from each post-secondary institution you have attended.
- C.V. / Resume: A C.V. or resume is optional but strongly recommended for applicants who would like to be considered for a graduate assistantship.
- Graduate assistantship essay: See below for instructions.
- GRE scores are not required.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International31860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 708 USD per credit during 12 months.
National31860 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 708 USD per credit during 12 months.
In-State21510 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 478 USD per credit during 12 months.
Living costs for Portland
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.