- The M.E. Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) specialization at Ohio University are trained in psychopathology, diagnosis and treatment planning, and personality assessment. The CMHC program specialization at Ohio University is CACREP-accredited through October 31, 2024. The program is offered annually on the Athens campus and in a regional cohort model on the Chillicothe campus.
Graduates of the program are eligible for state licensure in Ohio as Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC) and national certification as National Certified Counselors (NCC). Graduates are employed as mental health counselors in agencies, colleges and universities, hospitals, and school-based settings. The job placement rate for graduates was 100% within 12 months of degree completion. The CMHC program had 14 graduates in January 2019-August 2019. The program has a 63% completion rate (n=24), with students typically citing personal or medical reasons for withdrawal. Between January 2019-July 2019, the Ohio University pass rate on the National Counselor Examination (NCE) was 93% (n=14).
- CMHC students are encouraged to become involved in professional counseling organizations during their program. Belonging to a professional organization encourages collaboration and advocacy, promotes professionalism and leadership, and gives students the opportunity to meet colleagues and leaders throughout the state and nation.
- Foundations of Counseling: Clinical Mental Health, Rehabilitation, School Counseling
- Career Development: Research and Theory
- Counseling Over the Lifespan
- Group Counseling
- Counseling Theory and Techniques
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesCounselling Psychology View 637 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
Transcripts showing a bachelor’s degree with a GPA of 2.9 or higher
Three letters of recommendation written by current or former professors or supervisors, or others in the field who can address the applicant’s suitability for a graduate program in counseling.
Personal Statement of approximately 5 double-spaced typed pages from the applicant addressing specific questions including:
- What are your career goals? What experiences and/or persons in your life have influenced your career goals?
- What experiences have you had that you believe would help you be successful in a graduate program in counselor education?
- Describe your personal characteristics that will be assets and challenges to your study in counselor education. What qualities do you possess that you think would enable you to become an effective counselor?
- Describe your culturally relevant interpersonal experiences with individuals or groups who are different from you (race, gender, age, disability status, etc.).
- Counselor preparation involves a great deal of self-exploration and discovery. How will you manage your personal and professional boundaries in this process?
- What distinguishes you from other candidates for the counselor education program?
International12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
National12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State6996 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3498 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Athens
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.