Key facts about the M.M. in Music Performance (Conducting) degree program at Ohio University
- In addition to studying with a major teacher at Ohio University, conducting students receive the opportunity to work directly with the major performing ensembles in their respective area. Each student will accrue conducting time in public performances.
- The total of these appearances will serve as the degree recital. All performances, both on- and off-campus, will be arranged in conjunction with the major professor and must be approved by the conducting faculty. These experiences are the foundation for developing highly qualified, professional conductors of bands, choirs, and orchestras.
All auditioning students will:
- Rehearse and conduct a university ensemble
- Perform a representative work on their major instrument that demonstrates technical ability and musical competence (if requested)
- Demonstrate sight-singing and aural skills
- Demonstrate keyboard facility (choral and orchestral)
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Applied Conducting
- Advanced Instrumental Conducting
- Advanced Choral Conducting
- Seminar in Theory, Music History and Literature
- Literature of Choral Music
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesMusic Music Performance View 1061 other Masters in Music in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Admission to the Master of Music in Conducting degree program requires admission to the School of Music as described in the Ohio University School of Music Graduate Handbook.
Qualified candidates should submit a face-to-the-camera video recording (via YouTube, video file, or DVD) demonstrating 10-20 minutes of their conducting ability, with a preference for both rehearsal and performance on the same music included. Pending approval by the conducting faculty, prospective students will be invited to campus for an audition/interview.
International12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
National12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State6996 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3498 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Athens
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.