- M.A. English (Concentration in Rhetoric and Composition) offered by Ohio University provides teaching associates a variety of teaching and related professional development opportunities. Advanced TAs have the opportunity to develop their administrative abilities as Assistant Director of Composition or Assistant Director of the Student Writing Center. Writing tutoring positions also may be available.
- The department brings in nationally recognized scholars in the field, such as Peter Elbow, Lester Faigley, Keith Gilyard, Richard Lanham, Kate Ronald, Victor Villanueva, Jonathan Alexander, Heidi McKee, Cynthia Selfe, Richard Selfe, Ann Francis Wysocki, Doug Downs, and Nancy Sommers.
About the Coursework
- The program’s small seminars, which consist of both M.A. and Ph.D. students, provide a friendly and supportive atmosphere, with students receiving ample personal attention. Doctoral students take six seminars in Rhetoric and Composition, with four seminars for master’s students.
- Rhetoric & Composition students also take classes in critical theory, literary history, and creative writing.
- In addition, all English Department graduate students take classes across English studies.
- Teaching College English (required only for teaching assistants)
- Rhetoric and Composition
- Critical Theory
- Literature course
- Professional Issue in Teaching College English (1 hour per semester; required only for teaching assistants)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesLanguage Studies Literature Teaching View 1807 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- A completed online application for admission
- Bachelors degree with a record of substantial coursework in English language and literature.
- Foreign language
- Three letters of recommendation from professors familiar with the applicant?s academic work.
- General Record Examination (GRE) required.
- Writing sample that reflects your best work. Applicants in literature should submit a critical essay of 10 to 15 pages in length.
- One- to two-page Statement of Purpose to the admissions committee outlining your educational background, interests and goals, and the ways you think Ohio University's program can foster and help you implement your plans.
- Resume or Vitae recommended.
- English Proficiency. All non-native English speakers must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting official test scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS academic).
International12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
National12948 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6474 USD per semester during 24 months.
In-State6996 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3498 USD per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Athens
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.