Through individualized planning, a Counseling program Northern Illinois University may be designed to focus on one of the following areas of professional counselor preparation: school counseling and clinical mental health counseling.
Area(s) of Emphasis:
- Specialization in School Counseling
- Specialization in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
An applicant must demonstrate satisfactory academic and professional progress as indicated by data included in the application for admission to the Graduate School and separate application to the counseling program.
Applicants to the program in counseling must attend a pre-admission workshop and be selected by the faculty on the basis of aptitude, ability, professional disposition and personal qualifications requisite for the field. Prior to the pre-admission workshop, applicants must complete the supplementary data forms and take any required tests. Admission to the master’s program in counseling is competitive and takes place once a year in the spring. Students are admitted for the summer session or fall semester. All materials must be received by the Graduate School and the Department of Counseling, Adult and Higher Education by February 1. Applicants are usually notified of an admission decision within three weeks of the pre-admission workshop.
Each year, Northern Illinois University welcomes more than 5,000 graduate students from around the world to our vibrant community. We invite you to join us. Explore our wide range of graduate degrees and certificates. Our programs will advance your education and your career, and you'll have outstanding opportunities for research, innovation and hands-on learning.
Our university and individual programs of study rank nationally year after year. NIU is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching classifies NIU as a High Research Activity University.
- Professional Identity and Ethics in Counseling
- Diagnosis of Mental Health Issues in Counseling
- Career Counseling
- Counseling Skills and Strategies
- Counseling Theories and Practices
- Standardized Testing
- Group Counseling
- Practicum in Counseling
- 48 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesSchool Counselling Counselling Psychology View 608 other Masters in Counselling Psychology in United States
- Completed a four-year undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution or one with equivalent recognition.
- Achieved a 2.75 grade point average on a 4.00 scale, or the equivalent.
- If you received a three-year degree awarded through the Bologna process in Europe or a three-year Bachelor of Commerce or Bachelor of Business Administration awarded in India, you are eligible to apply (provided you are seeking admission to the MBA or OMIS program).
- Letters of recommendation.
- Statement of purpose.
- Test scores (if required).
- Resume or curriculum vitae (optional)
- Additional materials required by your program.
International13095 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 873 USD per credit during 48 months.
National7560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 504 USD per credit during 48 months.
In-State7560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 504 USD per credit during 48 months.
Living costs for DeKalb
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.