Students who take this Japanese Studies programme from SOAS University of London come from many countries and have a wide variety of academic backgrounds. Some have already studied, or lived, in Japan and wish to broaden their knowledge or understanding. Others wish to focus their previous training on the region, while still others will come from Japan or other East Asian countries wishing to study Japan from the perspective of a different culture and academic tradition. Knowledge of the Japanese language is not a requirement of the programme. Language modules, however, are popular options.
SOAS has its own Japan Research Centre and shares the Sainsbury Institute for the Study of Japanese Arts and Cultures with the University of East Anglia. Both can be of great benefit to students.
Prospective students may also be interested in the Dual degree programme in Global Studies between SOAS and Sophia University (Tokyo).
Why study Japanese at SOAS
- SOAS is ranked 1st in London in the Complete University Guide 2021 for Middle Eastern and African Studies, and 6th in the UK
- ranked 8th in the UK in the Complete University Guide 2021 for South Asian Studies
- SOAS is specialist in the studies of Africa, the Middle East, South Asia and South East Asia
- access SOAS’s comprehensive cross-regional expertise and gain an understanding of the interconnectedness of these regions in an increasingly globalised world.
A postgraduate degree in Japanese Studies from SOAS provides its students with competency in language skills and intercultural awareness and understanding. Postgraduate students develop linguistic and cultural expertise which will enable them to continue in the field of research.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Japanese Traditional Drama
- Japanese-English Translation
- Identity and social relations in Japanese
- Modernity, Nation and Identity in Japanese History (1853-1945)
- Reading Pre-modern Japanese Texts
- Writing from the Margins: Voices of change in Modern Japanese Literature
- Self, City and Sexuality in Modern Japanese Literature 1868 to present day
- Modern Japanese Literature
- Contemporary Japanese Society
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies Linguistics View 639 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International22500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 22500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11520 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11520 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part-time 2 Years or 4 years (Intensive Language only):
- UK: £5,760
- Overseas: £11,250
Part-time 3 Years
- UK: £3,840
- Overseas: £7,500
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.