With a focus on the study of Gender that attends to the complex specificities of Asia, Africa, the Middle East and their diasporas, this programme creates a cutting edge pedagogical space where students grapple with the limits of ‘Western’ and elite feminisms and tackle the problems of class violence, racism, transmisogny, Islamophobia, ableism and queerphobia in contemporary feminist political projects. In addition to drawing on the interdisciplinary expertise of staff across all SOAS faculties, this MA in Gender Studies programme offers plenty of opportunities to participate in ongoing dialogues between various social justice movements and the University classroom. Drawing cohorts of students from Asia, Africa and the Middle East as well as the Global North, this programme offers students a chance like no other to forge connections to feminist movements, activists and thinkers situated across the world.
The Gender Studies course from SOAS University of London will appeal to students with a variety of backgrounds and objectives:
- Those coming from Women's Studies or Gender Studies who wish to engage more deeply with gender theory in relation to regional specialisation, especially, but not exclusively, the societies of Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
- Those coming from Asian, African or Middle Eastern Studies who wish to incorporate the study of gender into their own areas of expertise; and
- Those having previously trained in particular disciplines, such as Cultural and Media Studies, Religious Studies, Comparative Literature, History, Anthropology, Politics, etc. who wish to deepen their training in feminist knowledge production.
Graduates leave SOAS with an enhanced knowledge of gender and equality across cultures, as well as a wide range of transferable skills. Gender Studies is highly regarded by employers across many sectors, as increasingly, policy makers, businesses and governing structures understand the need to engage with gender and sexuality.
Recent Gender Studies graduates have been hired by:
- Amnesty International
- Association for Women’s Rights in Development
- Commission for Gender Equality
- Euromet Feminist Initiative
- International Organization for Migration
- International Rescue Committee
- Raising Films
- The Children’s Society
- The Guardian
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Gender theory and the study of Asia, Africa and the Middle East
- Dissertation Methods for Gender Studies
- African Feminisms: Theories, Politics and Action
- Gender and the Law of War
- Queering Migrations and Diasporas
- Gender in the Middle East
- Gender and the Law of Peace
- Gender and Development
- Gender and Music (MMus)
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesAnthropology Gender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 526 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We will consider all applications with 2:ii (or international equivalent) or higher. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application including supporting statement and references.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International21560 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21560 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National10970 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10970 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Part Time 2 Years:
- UK Students: £5,485/year
- Overseas: £10,780/year
Part Time 3 Years:
- UK Students: £3,657/year
- Overseas: £7,190/year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.