The combination of the location, faculty and laboratories makes University of New Hampshire one of the best institutions from which to obtain a graduate degree in Biological Sciences - Marine Biology. Our faculty have expertise ranging from molecular biology to ecology and fisheries, and their research programs often span disciplines and use a variety of methods and technologies to address marine-related questions and issues.
The main UNH campus in Durham is located about 5 miles from the Great Bay Estuary, home of the UNH Jackson Estuarine Laboratory, and 30 miles from the coastline and the UNH Coastal Marine Laboratory. Each of these laboratories supports a number of research vessels used by faculty, staff and students. Students can become certified research divers through our strong dive program. Finally, there are several state-of-the-art research resources on campus, including a DNA sequencing facility, an aquaculture laboratory, and various microscope and instrumentation centers.
- Aquarium industry
- Education (K-12, college, university)
- Environmental consulting
- Environmental protection and resource management
- Fisheries management and research
- Habitat restoration
- Marine/environmental outreach
- Marine policy
- Nonprofit organizations
- Research diving
- The M.S. degree requires completion of a minimum of 30 credits, 6-10 of which may be earned for thesis research (BIOL 899 Master's Thesis ). The Biological Sciences Program specifies 2 credits’ worth of required coursework (BIOL 901 Introductory Graduate Seminar);
- Most students use 6 more credits to satisfy the competency requirement in experimental design/analysis (BIOL 811 Experimental Design & Analysis or ANFS 933 Design, Analysis, and Interpretation of Experiments, 4 credits) and recommended coursework in writing/communication (BIOL 902 Writing and Publishing Science or BIOL 950 Scientific Communication, 2 credits).
- Other graduate coursework approved by the student’s committee can substitute for any of these courses except BIOL 901 Introductory Graduate Seminar.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Spring: Open only for Accelerated Masters students
- Summer: Must have permission by department to apply for summer.
DisciplinesBiology Biodiversity & Conservation Marine Studies View 97 other Masters in Biodiversity & Conservation in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Letters of recommendation: 3 required
- Personal Statement/Essay Questions
- All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.
- Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply early if they wish to be considered for financial and priority consideration.
International27810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27810 USD per year during 24 months.
National27810 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27810 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State14170 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14170 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.