- Career Development and Mentoring. You will acquire the knowledge, skills and support needed to afford your transition to a new and rewarding professional career with confidence and determination.
- Well-established international reputation. The programme is in its 30th year, and previous graduates are now among the leading scholars and practitioners in sociology of law.
- Scholarships are available. The IISJ is committed to supporting socio-legal scholars from all economic, cultural and disciplinary backgrounds, and we offer a limited number of scholarships to assist students who could not otherwise afford to study on the programme.
- You will be taught by leading international experts who travel specially to Oñati for the programme. The delivery of the programme is unique. Whereas other programmes are taught by in-house academic staff, our programme is taught by leading researchers in sociology of law from around the world.
- The Socio-Legal Master programme from the International Institute for the Sociology of Law covers the major substantive issues and debates concerning sociology of law, including theoretical perspectives as well as research methods.
- Small class size. Class numbers are limited to 20
- Quality of students. The Master's programme has an international reputation for attracting the highest quality of students from all around the world. A high proportion of our students continue onto PhD programmes.
- Diversity of students. Our students come from a wide range of cultural and disciplinary backgrounds. We accept students with good first degrees in law, sociology and other social sciences (eg geography, political science, economics, psychology, journalism, cultural studies, criminology, philosophy, and so on).
- Connection to the international community of socio-legal scholars (Oñati Community). The IISL is the home of the international socio-legal community. Scholars regularly visit Oñati to use our library, and we run a series of highly innovative workshops and conferences. Students have the opportunity to engage with leading researchers, participate in our other activites, and become part of this influential network. See what they say about the Institute and the programme (videos).
- Access to the best socio-legal library in the world. The IISL is home to a famous multi-language library and document centre. Researchers from around the world travel to Oñati specifically to use our library.
- PhD opportunities. Our graduates can also register directly into the PhD programmse in Sociology of Law at the University of the Basque Country. A high proportion of our graduates continue on to PhDs, and we provide support for applying for PhD funding.
- Publishing opportunities. Your Master's dissertation should be written in the format of a journal article, and part of the teaching programme focuses on the process of publication. Our best students are invited to submit their dissertations to our own international peer-reviewed journal.
- The Basque Country. The IISL was first established as a collaboration between the Basque government and the RCSL. Oñati provides the perfect atmosphere and environment. You have the opportunity to live, learn and study in a beautiful and tranquil environment.
- Courses include:
- Comparative Legal Culture
- Islamic Legal Cultures and Accommodation of Islam in Europe
- Legal Anthropology: An Introductory Guide to Legal Pluralism
- Research Design and Quantitative Approaches
- Law and Media
- International Law & Collective Memory
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A copy of their passport or identity card;
- A passport-style photo;
- A curriculum vitae;
- A transcript of the credits or subjects taken in and showing satisfactory completion of the first degree in Spanish, or translated into Spanish by an official translator;
- An officially recognised copy of the first degree diploma in Spanish, or translated into Spanish by and official translator;
- A copy of a TOEFL diploma, IELTS or other evidence of fluency in English;
- Two references written by their previous university teachers of other scholars. These references should verify the details of the candidate's qualification(s) and class standing.
International4250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4250 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA4250 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4250 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Oñate
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.