Middle Tennessee State University was in the first wave of American universities to embrace the study of public history and now offers a master’s degree, doctorate, and advanced certificates. Students pursuing the History ( Public History ) program may choose from five tracks: historic preservation and cultural resource management, museum management, archival management, oral history, and public archaeology.
Master’s candidates are exposed to the myriad career possibilities associated with each specialty, helping them select the curriculum best suited to their interests and aspirations. The program carefully balances academic historical methods and scholarship; the intellectual foundations and nature of public history; and professional development in several areas.
Public historians work in a wide range of professional settings with public audiences of all ages. Potential employers include archives, museums, historic organizations, historical societies, historic sites, private consulting firms, and historical agencies at all levels of government.
- Historical Research Methods
- Seminar: Public History
- Oral History: Theory and Methodology
- Essentials of Museum Management
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesHistory Modern History View 291 other Masters in Modern History in United States
- Complete graduate application for admission
- Submit $35 nonrefundable application fee (money order or check with routing numbers); American Express, Visa, and MasterCard are accepted for online applications.
- Submit a copy of valid passport.
- Already in the U.S., submit a copy of valid Visa and copies of pages 1-3 of your current I-20 and the front and back of your I-94 card or I-94 information print out.
- Submit official transcripts from all post-secondary institution(s). We request transcripts be sent directly to an accredited external evaluation service. If transcripts are written in a foreign language, an official translation in English is required in addition to the official original copy.
International18288 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18288 USD per year during 12 months.
National18288 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18288 USD per year during 12 months.
In-State7212 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7212 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Murfreesboro
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.