The MLitt in International Security Studies at the University of St Andrews is a one year taught postgraduate programme run by the School of International Relations.
- The course provides detailed study of international security topics ranging from particular geographical regions to vital contemporary issues such as terrorism, great power relations, identity and conflict, gender and political economy.
- The programme is designed to provide students with key conceptual tools needed to be competitive in the job market.
- Prepares students for a wide range of professional careers including government, NGOs, IOs and regional organisations such as the EU.
The programme consists of four taught modules taken over two semesters and a 15,000-word dissertation in an area of your choice. The two compulsory modules, International Security Studies and Critical Security Studies, will ground you in both long-standing and contemporary approaches to security issues.
Students who graduate from the MLitt in International Security Studies frequently find employment in the foreign service, non-governmental agencies and security consulting, or advance to a PhD to pursue an academic career.
The Careers Centre offers one-to-one advice to all students on a taught postgraduate course and offers a programme of events to assist students to build their employability skills.
- International Security
- Critical Security Studies
- Terrorism and Liberal Democracy
- Conflict and Peace in Post-Communist Eurasia
- Religion and International Politics
- Identity and Collective Violence
- Political Economy of Conflict
- Gender and Terrorism
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations IT Security Terrorism & Security View 135 other Masters in IT Security in United Kingdom
- A strong 2.1 Honours degree.
- CV or résumé. This should include your personal details with a history of your education and employment to date
- personal statement indicating your knowledge of the programme and how it will benefit you (500 words)
- sample of academic written work (2,000 words)
- two original signed academic references
- academic transcripts and degree certificates
- evidence of English language proficiency (required if English is not your first language).
International25450 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25450 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12590 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12590 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for St Andrews
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.