The Secondary Education program of University at Albany prepares you to teach a specific subject to students in grades 7-12. As a registered teacher preparation program, it provides you with initial certification to teach in New York State (NYS) public middle and high schools.
Advanced coursework in your content specialty and graduate seminars in pedagogical theory and research prepare you for practical teaching experiences. Through these fieldwork requirements, you learn how to develop curricula, manage classrooms, use educational technology, and engage with diverse students in public schools.
Content area concentration options at UAlbany include biology, chemistry, earth science, English, French, math, physics, social studies, and Spanish.
Program of Study
This program requires three semesters of full-time coursework and field experiences. You start with two summer courses and then take additional graduate classes over the fall and spring semesters while you complete teaching practica in public schools.
Student Learning Objectives
Learning objectives that UAlbany students are expected to attain through their course of study within their academic program.
- Our students demonstrate the ability to integrate educational theory in the service of guiding effective instructional decision making.
- Our students use technology effectively to support collaboration and engagement in the process of knowledge construction.
- Our students promote meaningful, engaged learning for diverse students, regardless of their race, gender, ethnic heritage, or cultural background
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Teachers in Context
- Adolescent Development
- Assessment in Education
- Characteristics of and Methods for Teaching Exceptional Secondary Students in Inclusive Settings
- Teaching Middle School: Methods and Field Experience
- Teaching High School: Methods and Field Experience
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Literature Teaching View 629 other Masters in Literature in United States
- GRE test scores
- A minimum 3.0 GPA
- Statement of goals
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal interview (by invitation only)
- Transcripts from all schools attended
- One college course in a language other than English
International23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
National23100 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11550 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State11310 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5655 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Albany
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Due for update
Updated over a year ago
Check the official programme website for potential updates.