Recognizing that literacy is a multi-faceted tool which enriches learning in all subject areas, we draw on the new literacies lens to integrate technology into innovative and traditional traditional learning activities. The program enhances teachers’ understandings of reading-writing-listening-speaking visualizing performing connections.
Fordham University graduates are proficient in promoting the effective use of skills and strategies with students from diverse backgrounds who become confident, independent, successful lifelong learners.
Candidates are typically teachers, teacher assistants, or literacy specialists serving in local schools, attending the program on a part-time basis while some enrollees are full-time students.
Teaching - Adolescent Literacy (MSE) Program Prerequisites
Candidates must provide evidence of initial/provisional or permanent/professional certification or the equivalent as a teacher of adolescent grades (e.g.: English, Social Studies, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, TESOL, Special Education).
Candidates must also provide evidence of having completed 6 credits in language and/or literacy education and six credits in special/inclusive education. Those who have not fulfilled these prerequisites may complete them concurrently with enrollment in the program.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Assessment and Development for Literacy Processes: Practicum I/Adolescence
- Cognitive and Linguistic Dimensions of Literacy
- Critical Literacy: Adolescence
- Developing Literacy in Intermediate Level Inclusive Classrooms
- Instructional Practices for Writing Across the Curriculum/Adolescence
- Perspectives on Standardized Language and Literacy Assessments: Policy and Practice
- Portfolio for Literacy Education
- Reflective Seminar for Literacy Leaders
- Research and Practice for Struggling Readers and Writers: Practicum II/Adolescence
- Second Language Acquisition
- Sociocultural and Developmental Dimensions of Literacy
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Deadline passed
DisciplinesTeaching View 1044 other Masters in Teaching in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Admission application is considered complete and ready for review only when it consists of your submitted online application and all required supplemental materials.
Letters of Recommendation
- Provide all recommenders with at least one month’s advance notice to submit their recommendations. To facilitate this process, enter each recommender’s name and email address into the application as soon as you begin filling it out. They will be notified electronically of your request before you submit your application.
- GRE exams should be taken at least one month prior to the application deadline to ensure timely receipt of scores by GSAS Admissions. Our GRE school code is 2259.
International1442 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1442 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
National1442 USD/creditTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 1442 USD per credit and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.